I have friends who I grew up with as Christians in the church and to this day they've never committed any serious and fractions of the law or anything, but I have in fact committed a few misdemeanors but also was falsely convicted of a misdemeanor in one case or two actually, but it doesn't matter whether I was rightly or wrongly convicted. these friends when they found out thru the grapevine that I had these misdemeanors on my record, which by the way, have all been expunged now anyways (for good behavior) so I don't have a record anymore; but that doesn't matter to them- they will eternally hold this against me as proof that they are superior to me - so I would say these are Christians in the flesh rather than in the spirit or in a "state of grace" as they say in the Catholic Church.
Because they really don't believe that they are forgiven sinners ...they are very good at performing church going to church regularly Sunday maybe even teaching Sunday school... this or that ..they got a perfect resume, but they really don't believe that they need grace... because they don't truly believe they are serious sinners...
... and that's most problematic because you could have a murderer in prison and he realizes how bad he is and needs grace while the good citizen or the so-called "good citizen" outside who has maybe never even got a parking ticket, even regularly attends church and 'believes' in Jesus (maybe like the demons do?) but doesn't believe that he needs grace because he's never really been truly convicted of his sinfulness -that he's a serious sinner (despite no felonies or misdemeanors) who needs grace- it's very very dangerous -a very dangerous problem
in the church.
1. Intellectual Belief vs. Surrendered Trust
The Demons' "Belief": The demons intellectually know that God exists, that He is powerful, and that Jesus is the Holy One of God. Their belief is based on undeniable, eyewitness fact. However, they hate God, rebel against Him, and refuse to submit to Him. Their belief causes them to "tremble" in terror, but it does not save them because there is no trust, love, or surrender.
Saving Faith: True biblical faith (pistis) involves more than just agreeing with a theological statement in your head. It involves a wholehearted trust in Christ, repentance from sin, and a surrendered life.